September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and Sickle Cell Awareness Month!
What can you do?
(1) Light up gold (pediatric cancer awareness) or red (sickle cell awareness)! Local stores sell yellow and red light bulbs. Change the light on your front porch to show your support. You can even purchase lights online using AmazonSmile and help CURE at the same time. Childhood Cancer Awareness Lights Sickle Cell Awareness Lights
(2) Ask your local library, school or fire department to include that September is Childhood Cancer or Sickle Cell Awareness Month on their digital signs in front of their building for the month.
(3) Ask your school’s Athletic Director or Youth League Coordinator to paint a gold or red ribbon on the playing field! Teams can also host awareness games. Chat with the CURE staff on how we can make that happen and how we can help!
(4) Ask a local restaurant or bar to host a “Gold Party” or “Red Party” – Guests wear the color of awareness, drink and food specials centered around the awareness color.
(5) Wear a gold or red tie, ribbon or accessory throughout the month. Take a selfie and post on social media. Tag CURE and use the hashtag #GoldforCUREKids or #RedforCUREkids
(6) “Give awareness a hand” – Submit your handprint in either gold or red paint on paper to CURE (200 Westfall Road, Rochester, NY 14620) and include a brief description of why you think it’s important to raise awareness. These handprints will be on display at the CURE office during the month of September (So send your handprint in before the end of August to be included!!) PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE NAMES ON THESE!!
(7) Host a bake sale at your place of work, noting that it’s to raise awareness (“Life without pediatric cancer/sickle cell disease would be sweet. Enjoy a treat and help us raise awareness!”) and donate the proceeds to CURE. The CURE Staff would be more than happy to help provide baked goods (as long as we have a little notice ).
(8) Host a jeans day at your workplace where employees pay to wear jeans. Encourage them to wear the color of the awareness ribbon you are working towards. Donate the proceeds to CURE.
(9) Tie gold or red ribbons around your house, office, mail boxes, place of work, etc. to raise awareness.
(10) Sell paper awareness ribbons to patrons at your place of work. They write their names on them and a message of hope. Proceeds can be donated to CURE. We can work with you and provide the ribbons to be written on.
(11) Stop by the CURE office (200 Westfall Road). We will have gold and red ribbons you can wear during the month.
(12) We will be selling our lawn signs again, one for childhood cancer awareness month and one for sickle cell awareness month. These will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Once we run out, we are out. Pick up will be at the CURE office the week of August 28th. Reserve your sign online here: https://curecca.ejoinme.org/cureawareness
(13) Inaugural “Liquid Gold for CURE” challenge! Area restaurants will feature a SPECIAL mac and cheese dish for the month of September – because mac and cheese is DEFINITELY the most kid-friendly (and adult-friendly!), delicious food we can think of! Even better? It’s gold! We will feature the restaurants leading up to September and at the beginning of the month. Be sure to check them out and try their dishes! Every week, the number of special dishes ordered will be tallied and the winners get a TROPHY and a VIP table to the 10th Annual Recipe for a CURE Sunday brunch on October 14th! Interested in participating? Reach out to Holly (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Steadfast – Featuring Philly Cheese Steak Mac-n-Cheese
The Full Belly Deli – Featuring Mac & Cheese with Hot Dogs
585 Rockin’ Burger Bar – Featuring Cheesey Ball Homestyle Mac and Cheese
Shamrock Jack’s – Featuring Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese
The Point Restaurant inside Good Times in Olean – Featuring Baked Chicken Alfredo Mac and Cheese*
Dogtown – Featuring “The Working Dog”
Clutch – Featuring Mac & Cheese over a bed of Tater Tots and topped with Smoked BBQ Pulled Pork & Fried Onion Straws
ROCBurger on Main – $1 from every burger purchased in September will be donated to CURE!!
*The Point Restaurant is getting EXTRA Cheesey with us. They’re offering for their guests to add extra cheese to a number of their delicious offerings for a charge of $2. CURE will receive $1 of that!! Dishes included are:
- Spaghetti & Meatballs (adult portion only)
- Fettucini Alfredo
- Bow-tie Pesto
- Rigatoni Bolognese
- Ravioli ala Vodka
- Pasta Primavera (Vegetarian)
- Tuscan meatloaf
- Sausage, Peppers & Potatoes
- Ribeye Steak
- Haddock Filet
- Kids Spaghetti & Meatballs
- Kids Chicken Alfredo
Thanks so much, to our friends in Olean!!
Now that we’ve given some ideas, the creative and fun part starts! If you get your business involved in awareness and send us photos, we will promote on social media and in a special EXTRA edition of our newsletter in mid-October. We will tag your business on social media so everyone can see how you are making a difference in the community and partnering with our families!