Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams is a three day camp for children (entering grades 2 – 11 in September 2019) who are adjusting to the death of a loved one. Developed by Licensed Master Social Workers, this camp promotes understanding, acceptance, healing and hope through a comprehensive program of activities. It is staffed by credentialed professionals and trained volunteers, and is sponsored by Visiting Nurse Hospice, Pittsford Youth Services, and Dreams from Drake.
Camp registration is now open!
July 10th-12, 2019
12:00 – 5:30 p.m. daily
Families are invited to a complimentary dinner at the end of the last day at 5:30 pm
Campers are required to attend all days and times.
(4245 East Ave., Rochester, NY 14618)
How camp can benefit your child
Grief is difficult for everyone. It can be especially confusing for children who do not have the life experiences and resources adults draw on during difficult times. Camp helps fill that gap by:
- Developing campers’ coping skills for expressing and processing their grief.
- Offering campers an opportunity to be with peers who also experienced loss; this helps them realize they are not alone.
- Providing therapeutic and social activities such as pet therapy, games, art therapy, a balloon release, music therapy, and a family style dinner at the conclusion of camp.
- Teaching campers that it is ok to have fun and still honor their loved ones.
- Assisting campers to talk openly about their loved ones with camp staff and peers.
There is no cost to campers or their families. We are happy to provide this program free of charge.
For 2019, you can download and fill out the PDF application here. Please see the contact info below on where to send your child’s application.
For questions, please contact Michele Allman, LMSW, Bereavement Coordinator at Visiting Nurse Hospice, at 585-274-4069 or at URMHC-CampHeartstrings@URMC.Rochester.edu.