Dear Friends, Families and Supporters.
It’s September. It’s our month. September is Childhood Cancer and Sickle Cell Awareness month. This is our time to spread awareness in our community. This month, I am challenging each and every one of you to do something to raise awareness. There are SO many ways for you to make a difference and spread awareness. A big thank you to the Rochester Red Wings and Barb Klube-Falso for coordinating the very special childhood cancer awareness game on August 29th. An additional thank you to the friends of CURE who donated tickets so our CURE families could attend and participate free of charge.
Some of our friends have chosen to make a difference with us and spread awareness this month:
- CURE Kid, Hailey Coniber, raised a solid gold flag at the Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside on August 31st. This flag will fly all month long. Our friends at the Radisson have even challenged their neighbors to do something to go gold for the month of September as well.
- iHeart Media will be playing 15 second PSAs, sharing the importance of September with their listeners
- LAMAR worked with us to have a billboard displayed along 390 near Chili stating it is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- The City of Rochester is encouraging individuals and businesses to light up gold the week of September 18th. The list of participants keeps growing, but so far the following are on board to light up gold that week: RGRTA Transit Center, City Hall, The Penthouse at One East Avenue, the Kodak building, City Gate and the Rundel Memorial Building of the Central Library of Rochester and Monroe County. More businesses and buildings are being added by the day!
- Our friends at Mark’s Pizzeria will be going gold! Each location will be going gold, employees will be in gold shirts and all donations collected during the month of September from each location’s “Cancer Fund” jug will be donated to CURE!
- NOSH Restaurant is honoring our little fighters with a display in their restaurant
Do you want to make a difference, too? Join our challenge! #GoGoldForKids
We are launching a social media campaign to raise awareness for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. We are following the golden rule to honor our little fighters.
Here’s how the challenge works:
- Perform an act of kindness for someone around you
- Record yourself talking about the act of kindness, post onto social media, use #GoGoldForKids
- “With all the negativity that has been surrounding us lately, I am challenging X, Y, Z to go gold in September in recognition of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month by following the golden rule and performing an act of kindness for someone around them. I did ______________________ as my act of kindness. You have 24 hours to accept and complete your challenge in honor of all the little fighters who battled, are battling and have battled pediatric cancer. If you would prefer to donate to make an impact that way, please visit curekidscancer.com and make a difference today.”
My act of kindness is going to be to deliver a plate of cookies to the outpatient clinic on September 1st.
What are you going to do in September to be a voice for our pediatric oncology families and sickle cell families?
Let’s make this go viral in honor of our kids – the real heroes in our lives. Let’s raise awareness together! Follow us on social media for all kinds of good awareness ideas and happenings across the city! We can’t wait to hear what you will be doing! Please share with us! Tag us in photos. Let’s make a difference together!
Sending lots of love to our sickle cell families and pediatric oncology families during this month. We hear you. We are here for you.